If you are looking to add a rustic industrial piece to your wall decor, I have a fairly simple and straight forward project to share with you today. This square clip frame is a fun way to display photos or art printables.
- Scrap Wood: A square piece of plywood, mdf or particle board for the back, and a 1″ x 2″ for the frame sides.
- Hammer & Nails or Brad Nailer
- Clamps (not 100 percent necessary, but helpful if you’re doing the project on your own)
- Miter saw or Miter box and hand saw
- Wood stain or paint
- L- Brackets (I found mine at Ace Hardware)
- 12″ x 12″ burlap scrapbook page, or piece of burlap fabric.
- Modge Podge
- Bulldog clip
To create this square frame I used a scrap piece from an old particle board shelf, cut to 12″ x 12″ for the back. I cut a piece of 1″ x 2″ pine into four pieces for the sides. The top and bottom pieces are 12″ long, and the side pieces are 13 1/2″ long.
Once the wood pieces were cut, I stained the frame pieces and allowed them to dry completely.
After clamping and nailing the side pieces to the back board, I added the L-brackets.
Next came the really easy part. I used Modge Podge to attach the burlap and added a nail for hanging the bulldog clip. Super glue may have worked for this as well, but I was a little worried it wouldn’t hold over time.
I had this printable printed at Walgreens. Did you know they do 4″ x 4″ and 8″ x 8″ prints in store?
After adding a saw-tooth hanger to the back (you could also use a command strip, or two), it was ready to hang!
- Scrapbook Paper: Wouldn’t this look great with a fun patterned scrapbook paper as the background? I could see it looking great in a kid’s room or nursery.
- Fabric: Use a favorite fabric as the background. Use a complimentary fabric to help pull your room’s decor together.
- Wood or Paint: Using a nicer piece of wood for the back piece? Leave it bare, or stain or paint it fit with your style.
I love adding unique wall art to my home. If you have a diy wall art project you love, I want to see it. Link to it in the comments below or post it on instagram and tag me (@realhappyspace) so I can see it!
If you enjoyed this tutorial, please Pin it or share it with a friend. Happy creating!
Linking Up to: Weekend Retreat, Remodelaholic, Link Party Palooza, DIY Sunday Showcase, The Creative Gallery, The Creative Corner, Tutorials and Tips, Dream.Create.Inspire. Pin-Worthy Wednesday, The Inspiration Gallery, Create-Share-Inspire. Pretty Project Party.